The gateway to Outback Queensland
Only 300m walk to the Great Artesian Spa
The Major Mitchell Caravan Park is located on the eastern entrance to Mitchell, Gateway to Queensland’s Outback. An easy day’s drive from Brisbane, Mitchell is also the half way point between Brisbane and Longreach. The park is situated on the banks of the Maranoa River with their spacious drive through sites nestled in a tranquil bush land setting. There are a range of site options available including ensuite, powered and camping. Park facilities include recently renovated modern amenities with disabled access, laundry, barbecues and fireplace.
One of Australia's Pet Friendly Parks!
The Major Mitchell Caravan Park has a reputation as one of Australia’s friendliest parks. The welcoming on site management team does their utmost to ensure that your stay at the Major Mitchell Caravan Park is a positive experience. Guests certainly enjoy their stay at the park. In 2011 a high percentage of guests were return visitors and many had received personal recommendations to stay at the park. In the April 2-3, 2011 edition of The Courier Mail, an article entitled “50 beauties for family campers” listed Major Mitchell Caravan Park in 14th position. Social activities provide guests with an opportunity to create new friendships with other visitors and the locals of Mitchell. Staff look forward to making new friends and having old friends revisit and creating wonderful memories.
The park is located on the Warrego Highway at the eastern entrance to the town of Mitchell. It backs onto the Maranoa River which is great for fishing, canoeing and paddling.
Entertainment & Local Attractions
The park is only a 100 metre walk to the Great Artesian Spa and Fun Park. The Artesian Spa provides a relaxing and unique outback experience - a soak in the thermal mineralised artesian waters is relaxing for the body and therapeutic for the soul.
Things to see and do
Things to see and do
- Great Artesian Spa - relax and enjoy the rejuvenating powers of the ancient waters from the Great Artesian Basin
- Mt Moffatt National Park - explore magnificent sandstone formation millions of years in the making
- Major Mitchell’s Camp Site - established 1846 on Major Mitchell’s 4th expedition to map an overland route from Sydney to Darwin
- Kenniff Court House - the original courthouse where local bushrangers, the Kenniff Brothers, were committed to stand trial in 1902.
- Arrest Creek Monuments - site of the Kenniff Brothers capture
- Heritage Museum - packed full of local history, historical items and photographs
- Claravale Natural Wilderness Experience - spectacular panoramic scenery, native ecosystems and landforms.
- Ooline Park - remnants of a Gondwana rainforest
- Street Scaping - community arts projects depicting local history on everyday public structures
- Mitchell on Maranoa Gallery - inspirational exhibitions from local, state and nationally renowned artists.
- Maranoa Theatre Display - relive the magic and romance of an old picture theatre and go behind the scenes with a visit to the original projection room of the Maranoa Theatre
- Maranoa River Walk - experience the tranquility of the Maranoa River, Neil Turner Weir and Fisherman’s Rest popular for its fishing and birdlife.
Enjoy a camp oven damper and cook up at regular dates throughout the year